Monday, December 08, 2003
WRITING A BOOK, PART 1

OK, now I'm realizing I've been holding out on yall w/regards to the book-writing thing. So let me go there, and do this shit. It'll be kinda be like therapy for me and maybe it'll help a lot of yall to get your own asses in gear.

Diversion: I'll admit straight up that I have pretty strong opinions about this (e.g. this Da Capo-foot-in-my-mouth-but-still-happily-bird-flipping-cuz-what's-more-hip-hop-than-talking-shit episode). The idea of representing is still like religion to me. Most of what's getting out there on hip-hop in book form (and in canonized form) is still crap and written by non-hip-hop-gen heads. (That's changing, but this is another post for another time.)

My thing is that the faster we can all get our shit out there, the happier I am in general. Then we get to a different set of problems, but at this point, we won't be there until early 2005.

Back to the plotline.

First the basics on the book:

It's called Can't Stop Won't Stop (duh) A History of the Hip-Hop Generation. "A" being the most active word in the title.

It traces the emergence of the hip-hop generation from roughly 1968 (and before that, in the Bronx) to 2000-2001. The book wasn't meant to be a strictly music book. I wanted to write about graf and b-boying and DJing and activism and geography and the War on Youth and Public Enemy and Jesse Jackson and the Nation and etc. etc.

Main thing is I figured I couldn't really write about C. Delores Tucker without writing about gang peace treaties, and vice versa, couldn't talk about Herc without talking about Marley and couldn't talk about Marley without talking about cultural capitalism and globalization and couldn't talk about globalization without talking about localism.

That's kinda the way my head is wired. Undisciplined, as the academics might say. And maybe the whole thing is a little loose. Hopefully Monique, my editor, will let me know soon.

Anyway, so the book opens from hip-hop and moves through culture and politics and all kinds of stuff as a way of getting a handle on who we be. But instead of doing it academic-style (read: unreadable), I wanted to make it accessible. I settled on writing it in a twisted narrative nonfiction format.

I took a lot of inspiration from Brian Cross, whose whole idea for It's Not About A Salary was basically: Fuck all these folks who want to come in and speak for hip-hop headz, they can do it themselves. I think that's the same motivation behind Yes Yes Y'all.

But at the same time, with oral histories you often lose the context. You get wrapped up in the details of the stories and sometimes gloss over the Big Themes and glide past the Big Questions.

I love Bakari's book--and here's why--but I'm more a history nerd these days so I wanted to go left in a different way. Plus my homies wouldn't read it if it were a series of Jeff rants. And bottom line, hip-hop history is gotdamn interesting!

There are so many twists and turns and ironies and tragedies and victories and drama that I often wonder why there aren't more hip-hop history nerds. If you read the books that are out there on hip-hop, they all reference the same two books for hip-hop history--Toop and Hager. Those books have deservedly become the Old Testament of hip-hop history, but for anyone who's actually done a little bit of work--ask Fabel or Jay Smooth or Cheryl Aldave or Reggie Dennis, the list goes on--there's a helluva lot of ground that hasn't been covered by those two books. Again another rant for another time.

So in the end, I kinda took a Lorax approach. Collect the stories and put together a roughly chronological narrative that has an arc and a purpose. And down with the Once-lers!

OK so what was I trying to do in this post? Oh yeah, I was gonna talk about how this all began.

So it was the end of 1997, we had this big SoleSides pow-wow up in Lake Tahoe. Lateef's mom had a cabin that we could rent and we were s'posed to be talking about how to blow the shit up more in 98. Truth was, we were all dead broke and exhausted, for a lot of ironic and tragic reasons I don't need to get into, and maybe no one more than I.

It was kind of symbolic. Everyone was already there the day I drove up to Tahoe in my tiny little Honda Civic, right into the worst blizzard of the season. I fucked up in trying to put the chains on myself and tore up the outside of the car and got soaked in the snow. It's bumper to bumper at the summit and I've been driving 8 hours, I'm freezing and tired and I rear-end a pickup. By the time I got to the cabin, the front hood was about three feet high and rising (Honda bumpers are literally made of fucking styrofoam), the anti-freeze had completely leaked out, and I was froze to the bone.

That night, after a long hot shower and dinner, we sat down for a meeting. They said that they had come up earlier, talked it out, and decided to shut down the label. I was shocked. But it made perfect sense. In fact, ending SoleSides liberated me. I mean, I sucked as a label manager. My only experience to qualify me as a indie label manager was that I had led a bunch of protests at Berkeley during the 80s, knew community organizing theory, and been a college radio DJ for about 7 years. That was all good until the late 90s, when hip-hop got to be big biz. I had definitely reached the outer limits of my abilities. If I had any talent, it was in writing and shit. And I hadn't begun to explore the outer limits of my abilities there no way.

So a couple days later, I got a tow truck to take my car back to the Bay and sat in the cab and on the long ride back I thought about the whole SoleSides experience and everything. The only logical conclusion was go for what I knew, to ease myself back into writing, and to imagine something bigger than I'd ever done. The book came out of that.

The thing that I realized in writing the book--especially the last 5 months of putting together the first draft--is that every morning I was standing at the outer limits of my abilities. It was like I was outside the comfort zone as soon as I fired up the computer. That was exactly where I wanted to be, but it was also the scariest thing in the world.

Now I realize that lots of people will think the book sucks, probably including some whose opinion really matters to me, but I'm pretty content knowing that there wasn't much more I could do at this point in my life. So if I'm destined to be the Matt Doherty of hip-hop books, it's all good.

Right now Monique is going through 700 freaking pages. I don't envy her. But I await her machete cuts with no worries at all. It is what it is. My car is intact. I can pay for diapers and mortgage. Praise Herc and Bam and hip-hop.

OK, back to the deadlines. More down the line when I feel like it...



posted by Zentronix @ 8:29 AM   0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

 

Previous posts
Damn. That panel was FI-YAH! Thanks to everyone wh...
Sam Chennault and Oliver Wang are having a reall...
IF YOU'RE NOT A TERRORIST WE'LL STILL SCREW YOU M...
If you're in the Bay Area and you wanna talk music...
Bad news travels fast but since I've been book-mak...
Quote of the week comes from Rob Sheffield on this...
HIGH ON HIS OWN SUPPLY In case yall missed this o...
Geezus. So I haven't blogged in a minute. Trying t...
WHOSE BEST MUSIC WRITING? While we're on the topi...
SMELLS LIKE A READING LIST, A-K I've been teachi...


select * from pages where handle = "BlogLinks" #content#

Archives
June 2002
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
 

Email list

Add me to the Can't Stop Won't Stop email list, an irregular update of what's new in our world:

Submit